The Effect of High Dose Monosodium Glutamate Administration towards Level of Serum Urea-Creatinine on Wistar Rats
Background: Many cases of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) consumption were found. Many food producers, even restaurant and household add MSG on the food produced. Safety use of MSG is still being debated. Some have claimed that the use of MSG is safe within certain limits, but the results of several studies in animals found that MSG affects the body's organs. MSG that accumulates in the body will interfere, especially the urinary system (kidneys), liver, brain, hematopoietic system, cardiovascular, central nervous system, and reproductive system. The aim of this study was to detect the effect of MSG in highrise dosage towards the level of serum urea-creatinine on Wistar Rats (Rattus novergicus). Methods: The research used a simple experimental design which iscalled the post-test only control group design. This research wasconducted on five sample groups: one group as a control, and fourothers as the treatment. The control group was not given MSG, butaquadest, while the treatment groups were given MSG solution orallyin gradable dose. MSG solution dose that was given in treatment group1 (P1) were 400 mg/100gBB, while the MSG dose for treatment 2 group(P2) were 800 mg/100gBB, treatment 3 group (P3) were 1200 mg/100gBB,and treatment 4 (P4) were 1600 mg/100gBB that were divided into 2doses. After 14 days, mice anesthetized with diethyl ether, thendecapitation and its blood was taken by intracardiac to determineserum urea-creatinine level on Wistar Rats. Result: There was significant effect of administration MSG on serum urea-creatinine levels on Wistar Rats (p <0.05). The result of this study also showed that higher doses of MSG were given, higher meanlevels of serum urea produced, while serum creatinine levels remainedrelatively constant for each group. Conclusion: There was significant effect of giving MSG on serumurea-creatinine levels on Wistar Rats statistically (p <0.05). Keywords: MSG, 14 days, Highrise Dosage, Urea, Creatinine.
2. Muchsin, R. Pengaruh Pemberian Monosodium Glutamate terhadap Histologi Endometrium Mencit (Mus Musculus L); 2009.
3. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA and Monosodium Glutamat (serial online) 1995. Tersedia dalam: http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/msg.html.
4. Ardyanto, T. D. MSG dan Kesehatan: Sejarah, Efek dan Kontroversinya. Inovasi 2004; 1: 52-6.
5. Vinodini, N. A., Nayanatara, A. K., dkk. Study on Evaluation of Monosodium Glutamate Induce Oxidative Damage on Renal Tissue on Adult Wistar Rats. Journal of Chinese Clinical Medicine 2010; Volume 5 Number 3; 144-7
6. Kompas. Keamanan Monosodium Glutamat (serial online) 2011. Tersedia dalam: http://indonesia.glutamate.org/media/Keamanan_monosodium_glutamat.asp.
7. Inuwa, H.M, Aina, V.O, dkk. Determination of Nephrotoxicity and Hepatoxicity of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) Consumption. British Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 2011;2(3): 148-153.
8. Yousef, J.M. Study The Impacts of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) and Extract of Green Tea (Theaceae Family) Leaves-Induced on Kidney Biochemical Functions in Rats. International Journal of Academic Research 2011; 3 (3).
9. Al â€“ Agha, S. Histological, Histochemical and Ultrastructural Studies on the Kidney of Rats After Administration of Monosodium Glutamate 2010; 5.
10. Murray, R. K., dkk. Harperâ€™s Ilustrated biochemistry 26th Ed.USA: McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc; 2003.
11. Attia, H. A.; Faddah, L. M. dan Yaqub, H. Trans-retinol Precursor and/or N-acetyl Cysteine Protects against Monosodium Glutamte-induced Nephrotoxicity in Rats. J. App. Sci. Res., 2008;4 (12): 2108-2119.
12. Price, S.A dan Wilson, L.M. Patofisiologi konsep klinis proses-proses penyakit ed.6. Jakarta: EGC; 2005.
13. Dugdale, D.C, dkk. BUN (serial online) 2009. Tersedia dalam: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003474.htm
14. Dugdale, D.C., dkk. Creatinin-Blood. (serial online) 2009. Tersedia dalam: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003475.htm.
15. Koolman, J dan Roehm, K. H. ColorAtlas of Biochemistry 2nd ed. New York: Thieme Stuttgart; 1997.
16. Doloksaribu, B. Pengaruh Proteksi Vitamin C Terhadap Kadar Ureum, Kreatinin, dan Gambaran Histopatologi Ginjal Mencit yang Dipapar Plumbu (Tesis), 2008.
17. Fischbach, F. dan Dunning M. B. A Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Test 8th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2009.