TINJAUAN PUSTAKA: KISTA ARACHNOID SPINALIS
Spinal arachnoid cyst is an expanding lesion within the spinal canal and is a very rare finding of spinal tumor. Spinal arachnoid cyst can be located extradural, intradural, and intramedullary. This cyst is usually found more on woman especially on their second decade of life. The position of the cyst has a predilection in the posterior part of thoracic level spinal cord. The exact cause of this cyst is still unknown. Many cases happens to be idiopathic, while some cases occur due to congenital dural defect, trauma, infection, and inflammation. Clinical manifestation of the patients is very much dependent on the location and size of the cyst. Many complaints the sign and symptoms of myelopathy, radiculopathy, and local pain, or all of the above combined. In determining the diagnosis, additional imaging can be done with MRI and myelography that will show the cyst thoroughly. The goal of treatment for this case is to remove the cyst or decrease its size through operation procedure. Arachnoid spinal cyst has an excellent prognosis with minimal recurrence after dural repair is done.
Keywords: Spinal Extradural Arachnodi Cyst, Spinal Cyst, Spinal Tumor, Intradural, Extradural, Intramedullary
2. Sure DR, Culicchia F. Duus’ Topical Diagnosis in Neurology. Otol Neurotol. 2013;34(1):8. Available from: http://content.wkhealth.com/linkback/openurl?sid=WKPTLP:landingpage&an=00129492-201301000-00003
3. Sangala JR, Uribe JS, Park P, Martinez C, Vale FL. Nerve root prolapse into a spinal arachnoid cyst-An unusual cause of radiculopathy. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2009;111(5):460–4.
4. Tureyen K, Senol N, Sahin B, Karahan N. Spinal extradural arachnoid cyst. Spine J. 2009;9(8):10–5.
5. Epstein NE. Review/Perspective On the Diagnosis and Surgical Management of Spinal Arachnoid Cysts. Surg Neurol Int. 2022 Mar 25;13:98. Available from: /pmc/articles/PMC8986646/
6. Lee CH, Hyun SJ, Kim KJ, Jahng TA, Kim HJ. What is a reasonable surgical procedure for spinal extradural arachnoid cysts: Is cyst removal mandatory? Eight consecutive cases and a review of the literature. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2012;154(7):1219–27.
7. Woo JB, Son DW, Kang KT, Lee JS, Song GS, Sung SK, Lee SW. Spinal Extradural Arachnoid Cyst. Korean J Neurotrauma. 2016 Apr;12(2):185. Available from: /pmc/articles/PMC5110915/
8. Oyinkan Marquis B, Capone PM. Myelopathy. Handb Clin Neurol. 2016;136:1015–26.
9. Berry JA, Elia C, Saini HS, Miulli DE. A Review of Lumbar Radiculopathy, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Cureus. 2019 Oct 17;11(10). Available from: /pmc/articles/PMC6858271/
10. Fam MD, Woodroffe RW, Helland L, Noeller J, Dahdaleh NS, Menezes AH, Hitchon PW. Spinal arachnoid cysts in adults: Diagnosis and management. A single-center experience. J Neurosurg Spine. 2018;29(6):711–9.
Copyright (c) 2022 Jurnal Kedokteran
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.