TRAUMATIC OPTIC NEUROPATHY
Traumatic optic neuropathy (TON) is an optic nerve injury caused by direct and indirect head and facial trauma. The pathogenesis of TON has not been fully elucidated, and the management of TON remains controversial. This article will review the current literature on TON and discuss how to manage direct and indirect TON. Studies have shown that observation, steroid therapy, surgery, or a combination of these are the cornerstones of current management, but the statistical significance of supporting a specific approach to TON is not fully understood. However, it is likely that new management strategies will emerge because a wider range of different types of cell injury are at play in TON. More research is urgently needed in the future to gain a better understanding of TON.
2. Bhat PM. Traumatic Optic Neuropathy (TON) and Ayurveda - A case study. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2021;
3. Gupta D, Gadodia M. Transnasal Endoscopic Optic Nerve Decompression in Post Traumatic Optic Neuropathy. Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. 2018 Mar 1;70(1):49–52.
4. Sosin M, de La Cruz C, Mundinger GS, Saadat SY, Nam AJ, Manson PN, et al. Treatment outcomes following traumatic optic neuropathy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Jan 1;137(1):231–8.
5. Huang JH, Chen XS, Wang Z, Deng S, Duan J, Lu G, et al. Selection and Prognosis of Optic Canal Decompression for Traumatic Optic Neuropathy. World Neurosurg. 2020 Jun 1;138:e564–78.
6. Miller NR. Traumatic Optic Neuropathy. Vol. 82, Journal of Neurological Surgery, Part B: Skull Base. Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.; 2021. p. 107–15.
7. Kassam K, Rahim I, Mills C. Paediatric Orbital Fractures: The Importance of Regular Thorough Eye Assessment and Appropriate Referral. Case Rep Emerg Med. 2013;2013:1–4.
8. Yu-Wai-Man P. Traumatic optic neuropathy-Clinical features and management issues. Vol. 5, Taiwan Journal of Ophthalmology. Elsevier B.V.; 2015. p. 3–8.
9. Hathiram BT, Khattar VS, Harshal ·, Sonawane P, Parag ·, Watve J, et al. Traumatic optic neuropathy-our experience. Vol. 62, Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg.
10. Yu-Wai-Man P, Griffiths PG. Surgery for traumatic optic neuropathy. Vol. 6, The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2013. p. CD005024.
11. Kashkouli MB, Yousefi S, Nojomi M, Sanjari MS, Pakdel F, Entezari M, et al. Traumatic optic neuropathy treatment trial (TONTT): open label, phase 3, multicenter, semi-experimental trial. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 2018 Jan 1;256(1):209–18.
12. Lai IL, Liao HT. Risk Factor Analysis for the Outcomes of Indirect Traumatic Optic Neuropathy with No Light Perception at Initial Visual Acuity Testing. World Neurosurg. 2018 Jul 1;115:e620–8.
13. Yu B, Ma YJ, Tu YH, Wu WC. Newly onset indirect traumatic optic neuropathy-surgical treatment first versus steroid treatment first. Int J Ophthalmol. 2020 Jan 18;13(1):124–8.
14. Yan W, Lin J, Hu W, Wu Q, Zhang J. Combination analysis on the impact of the initial vision and surgical time for the prognosis of indirect traumatic optic neuropathy after endoscopic transnasal optic canal decompression. Neurosurg Rev. 2021 Apr 1;44(2):945–52.
15. Reddy RP, Bodanapally UK, Shanmuganathan K, van der Byl G, Dreizin D, Katzman L, et al. Traumatic optic neuropathy: facial CT findings affecting visual acuity. Emerg Radiol. 2015 Aug 24;22(4):351–6.
Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Kedokteran
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.