Peran Akupunktur sebagai Terapi Penunjang untuk Fibrilasi Atrium
Atrium fibrillation (AF) is a common tachyarrhythmia and its prevalence increases with age. AF causes increased morbidity and mortality, including stroke, heart failure and decreased quality of life. The current treatment for AF has pro-arrhythmic side effects, procedurally expensive and complex, invasive procedures have a low success rate, high costs and long-term consumption of antiarrhythmic drugs can damage other organs outside the heart. Acupuncture is a method that is widely studied for cardiac arrhythmia problems, such as atrium fibrillation. Acupuncture works by stimulating autonomic nerves, decreasing sympathetic and vagal activity, thereby decreasing AF induction in the heart. Furthermore, acupuncture therapy compared with the anti-arrhythmic drug amiodarone was not more beneficial in the long term, but with acupuncture there were fewer side effects. Recent studies have also tried auricular acupuncture which is a branch of the vagal nerve and as the result the heart rhythm changes immediately to sinus rhythm, without cardioversion, either pharmacological or electrical. Therefore, acupuncture deserves to be considered as an alternative therapy option for patients with atrium fibrillation.
Keywords : acupuncture, atrium fibrillation, cardiac arrhythmia, cardioversion
2. RI KK. Laporan Nasional RISKESDAS 2018. Indonesia; 2018. p. 146–7.
3. Fei Y, Fei R, Zhang J, Sun Y QY. Systematic evaluation of efficacy and safety of acupuncture treatment for patients with atrial fibrilation. J Med Sci. 2019;7(3):461–6.
4. Indonesia PDSK. Pedoman Tata Laksana Fibrilasi Atrium. 1st ed. Centra Communications; 2014. 11–58 p.
5. Zhu P, Zhang M, Yang M, Puji D, Ying G, Ao P et al. Acupuncture prevents the atrial fibrilation through improving remodeling of atrial appendage in rats. J Tradit Med Clin Naturop. 2016;5(1):1–5.
6. VanWormer AM, Lindquist R SS. The effect of acupuncture on cardiac arrhythmias?: a literature review. Hear Lung. 2008;37(6):425–31.
7. Lomuscio A, Belletti S, Battezzati PM LF. Efficacy of acupuncture in preventing atrial fibrillation recurrences after electrical cardioversion. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2011;22(3):241–7.
8. Li P TS. Mechanism of the inhibitory effect of electroacupuncture on experimental arrhythmias. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2013;6(2):69–81.
9. Chen PS, Chen LS, Fishbein MC, Lin SF NS. Role of the Autonomic Nervous System in Atrial Fibrillation?: Pathophysiology and Therapy. Circ Res. 2014;1500–15.
10. Shen MJ ZD. Role of the autonomic nervous system in modulating cardiac arrhythmias. Circ Res. 2014;1004–21.
11. Olex S. Cardioversion of atrial fibrillatiion with acupuncture. Med Acupunct. 2021;33(3):235–9.
12. Zhang L, Dong ZY, Ma M TB. Acupuncture on neiguan spot?: a promising therapeutic approach for atrial fibrillation by modulating autonomic nerves? Am J Biomed Sci Res. 2019;2(3):124–5.
13. Bohmer AA, Georgopoulos S, Nagel J, Rostock T, Bauer A EJ. Acupuncture at the auricular branch of the vagus nerve enhances heart rate variability in humans?: an exploratory study. Hear Rhythm Soc. 2020;1(3):215–21.
14. Tjen-A-Looi SC, Li P, Longhurst J MS. Acupuncture cardiovascular regulation?: translational, clinical studies and underlying mechanisms. Transl Acupunct Res. 2019;217–39.
15. Huang ST, Chen GY, Lo HM, Lin JG, Lee YS KC. Increase in the vagal modulation by acupuncture at neiguan point in the healthy subjects. Am J Chin Med. 2005;33(1):157–64.
16. Valaskatgis P, Macklin EA, Schachter SC WP. Possible effects of acupuncture on atrial fibrillation and post-herpetic neuralgia - a case report. Acupunct Med. 2008;26(1):51–6.
17. Dilber D, ?erkez-Habek J, Bari? H GM. Atrial fibrillation cardioversion following acupuncture. Saudi Med J. 2015;36(11):1351–3.
18. Lombardi F, Belletti S, Battezzati PM LA. Acupuncture for paroxysmal and persistent atrial fibrillation?: an effective non-pharmacological tool? World J Cardiol. 2012;4(3):60–5.
Copyright (c) 2022 Jurnal Kedokteran
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.