UMN Inferior Paraplegia as a Clinical Manifestation in Spondylitis Patients with Nonspecific Infectious Causes: Case Report
Spondylitis with nonspecific infectious causes is a destructive infection of the spine or paraspinal structures due to nonspecific infectious agents. The development of spondylitis can result in destruction of the vertebrae and widespread inflammation into the epidural and paraspinal spaces. This can lead to spinal cord damage and other neurological complications, one of which is inferior paraplegia. The following is a case report of a 56-year-old man with clinical signs and symptoms and neurological deficits including low back pain with gradual onset, inferior paraplegia of the upper motor neuron (UMN) type with progressive gradual onset, and parahypoesthesia and parahypoalgesia at the level of the thoracic myelum segment 7. In the early stages of disease evaluation, these clinical signs and symptoms lead to a possible diagnosis of a myelum tumor with a differential diagnosis of tuberculous spondylitis. The results of bone tissue biopsy taken during surgery, it turned out that there was chronic inflammation that supported the diagnosis of infectious spondylitis with non-specific causes.
2. Kang, SJ., Jang HC., Jung S, et al. Clinical Characteristics and Risk Factors of Pyogenic Spondylitis Caused by Gram-Negative Bacteria. PLoS ONE. 2015. 10(5): e0127126. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0127126
3. Panyaping T. Imaging of Infectious Spondylitis. Rama Med J. 2017; 40: 51-66
4. Cheung WY, Luk KD. Pyogenic Spondylitis. International Orthopaedics (SICOT)/ 2012; 36: 397-404
5. Garg RK, Somvanshi DS. Spinal Tuberculosis: A Review. The Academy for Spinal Cord Injury Professionals. 2011. DOI 10.1179/2045772311Y.00 440 00000023
6. Kim Y, Kim SE, Jang HC, et al. Analysis of the Clinical Characteristics and Prognostic Factors of Infectious Spondylitis. Infect Chermother. 2011; 43(1): 48-54
7. Kim NJ. Microbiologic Diagnosis of Pyogenic Spondylitis. Infect Chemother. 2021 Jun;53(2):238-246 https://doi.org/10.3947/ic.2021.0054 pISSN 2093-2340·eISSN 2092-6448
Copyright (c) 2022 Jurnal Kedokteran
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.